My town

My town
Thw view from the top. Literally. I climbed a big hill to get this photo.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

My Accomplishments

In my main town San Cristóbal
- Two nights a week I taught English
- I held two Clothing sales with the kindergarten teacher to build game tables and ping pong tables for the school.
- Helped the town parties and school events.
- A new water tank was funded and built with help from you all.
- A new water well was solicited
- Funds for the unpaved roads were raised.
- I led a group called Powerful Girls for fifth and six grade girls to help empower them.
- Art themed classes related to domestic classes were taught and then a regional event held with other volunteers.
- Art classes once a week in the school

In my small town Alfombra
- Two nights a week I taught English
- I led a group called Powerful Girls for fifth and six grade girls to help empower them.
- I solicited and received two World Teach volunteers to teach English in my smaller schools
- I have supported the Women’s group and with them we have done numerous courses in different themes (candles, small businesses, piñatas, purses, undergarments…) and held fiestas for the first time in their town in ten years.
- I helped in a lot of BINGOS
- With the Women’s Group we wrote a money proposal and with the money built a kitchen, bathrooms and repaired the community building.
- We formed a local development committee.


In Other Towns
- A week long Basketball Camp, San Isidro
- A youth field day, San Isidro
- Supported Children’s Welfare activities, San Isidro
- Worked with DINADECO the local government development group in charge of small community development
- Organized donations for two orphanages, San Isidro
- Helped a school solicit funds to build a new school classroom.


I also made many contacts and helped to find resources.
- Comité Tutelar, youth
- DINADECO,community development
- The Municipality for streets and sidewalks
- AyA, water
- Costa Rican Boy Scouts
- Womens group resources
- English
- Funding
- Phone lines for five towns.
- Got signatures for town petitions
- Translated documents and letters
- Helped people set up email
- Learned Spanish


Of course I am forgetting things and this doesn’t help to understand what I have been doing for the past two years, but hey, it’s a quick list.

Lastly, I have read a lot of books, eaten a lot of food, had great experiences, and made amazing relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment